This blog is about white boy shit.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Introducing...MAD MEN RECAPS!!!!

Hey,

It's been a while since I've posted. Sorry. I have another, more relevant CBA post pending.

Anyway, my favorite TV show, Mad Men, just aired its latest season debut tonight, and I want to write about it! Hopefully, any potential readers from PWT's adventures on Empire Avenue (I stopped playing on that site a while ago) are also fans that might appreciate these posts. If not, well, this is just a way to personally keep track of what is going on in this fourth season. This won't be strong commentary, per se; rather, I'd like this series of posts to establish a running dialog with others.



Mad Men stuff (SPOILER ALERT) after the jump!


Okay, just some real simple questions (I'm bourbon and cigarette drunk at the moment, so nothing serious).

1. Who was that new, young guy in the recently created agency?

2. Was the "Johnnnn/Marshaaaaa" exchange between previously-mentioned new guy and Peggy a hint at the debut of the Brady Bunch?*

3. What happened to Don's latest mistress (the school teacher from his suburb, I can't remember her name at the moment)?

4. Didn't Peggy and her new haircut look hot? And how about seeing Joan (Christina Hendricks) again? Nothing like renewing your spank bank with a buxom red-head!

Now, for some conversation points:

1. Henry Francis: Man, he and Don sure seem to be very similar. What do you think of Francis' input on the sale of the Drapers old house?

2. Speaking of the sale of the old house: Isn't Betty just as neurotic as ever? I think she is one of the more interesting characters on the show. Like, have you ever known a TV character more like Barbie (especially in the sense of a person who has likely been played with her entire life)? Of course, January Jones (btw: SEXY NAME) has a real vagina. A real vagina I would love to get to know; alas, I'm relegated to non-Hollywood/Model/15-year-old pussy**.

3. In my admittedly very-limited experience with film/great television, anytime the city of Los Angeles is introduced as a location within the context of New York/East Coast-based program, it is significant. Harry Crane, though getting very little time in the debut, said he just returned from talking to studios in LA. He was also very tan. I think this is a very important *potential* development to follow (think Fredo in Las Vegas in Godfather II). What do you think?

4. Don and a call-girl. Surprising? No. Worthy of further conversation? Yes.

Finally, a sentence or two of thoughts.

This was a very, very, very good debut. The first 45 minutes just oozed the precariousness of starting the new agency. Everything going on was a large calamity, and Mr. Weiner & Co. left a lot to work with (see my questions, I think they detail the many directions this season can go). Finally, the last bit of the episode (where Don was interviewing with the Wall St. Journal dude) left a great reintroduction to the Don Draper we know and love.

Sorry if you were anticipating quality TV recap writing. This is the first time I've written about something like this, and it may get slightly better***. For better stuff, check out www.warmingglow.uproxx.com.

-WonderBread

UPDATE: The "John/Marsha" thing is a song (thanks to http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2010/07/thanksgiving-hookers-for-everyone#more-15461). And the young guy's name is Joey.

*I will try and figure this out soon via a Google search of the Brady Bunch.
**I'm not a pedophile, I swear.
***Your girlfriend's panties are soaked as a result of my confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment